What are we to do?
I'm an average guy. I do guy things, there's no shame in it and it's not as bad as it sounds. You just probably have some preconceived ideas about what an "average guy" does based on your perspective as a middle-class American. I challenge that preconceived notion of yours. Read what us "average guys" are REALLY doing.
Friday, January 21, 2011
American youth
I'm scared. Scared that these young people today are the future of America. I know this is so cliche. I'm at Subway, getting a sandwich. It's an easy job right? I mean if you aren't the manager, just build a sandwich, smile and thank the customer. I order something extra simple, veggie with everything, no onions or jalapeƱo peppers. Between these two young men they managed to forget about 18 times what I had, and what I didn't want. The speed at which they worked was deplorable too. I think it's ADD, honestly. I think they have spent so much of their lives being feed massive amounts of entertainment at such high speed that they can't quiet their brains long enough to focus on anything. Actual conversation; me: "Lettuce and tomatoes", he puts them on tentatively, "pickles and cucumbers", he puts on the pickles, "sorry" he says. Me: "cucumbers as well", as he finishes "spinach and banana peppers" I get three extra spinach leaves, him: "and what was the other?" me: "banana peppers". he gets them, "olives please and regular mustard" he looks confused and his hands stop moving, me: "olives?" him: "oh yes" me: "and mustard" (I'm trying not to speak slowly, just give him less information at one time) then I screw up "salt and pepper and vinegar only please" Three things at once! I guess I asked for this next move. He gets the salt and pepper right (it's all in one container), but goes for the oil. me: "vinegar please" he pauses, me: "vinegar", him: "oh yes". I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, or just a service problem at this on location, but it's pretty typical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment